Re: kernel 2.4.17...2 strange things

> > Today i upgared from potato to woody...
> > with:
> > dselect update
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
> > (just mentioning it cause this might be the wrong way?)
> >
> > And i switched to a 2.4.17 kernel.
> >
> > Now i have 2 NICs....different brands...realtek and 3com.
> > eth0, the realtek,  connnectiong to the net and eth1 for the LAN,
> > which is a 3com ISAPNP NIC.
> > Both are compiled into the kernel.
> > First thing i noticed that the NICs had switched....realtek became
> > eth1 and 3com eth0....grrrrrrrrrrr.
> Look at the Ethernet HOWTO, it covers assigning these. Test at boot,
> then used 'append' in LILO. The examples are kind of spread out, but
> look at the stuff for 3COM ISA cards. By default the system applies eth0
> to the first card found, so a brute-force solution is to try swapping
> the cards...
> >
> > The other problem is that with my previous 2.2.19 kernel the 3com
> > was detected at IRQ7 and 0x300 which is what it is set to...
> > (checked with the 3com utils)
> >
> > But with 2.4.17 it gives me IRQ12 and base 220....which is the PS2 port
> > IRQ...(so no mouse either)
> > I checked again with the 3com utils and the card was still set to 7/300
> >
> > From what i can tell i did compile the kernel with all the right options
> > including PNPisa.
> >
> > How do i solve this?
> Start by seeing if you can get the eth0/eth1 assignments back the way
> you like them. it might fix things. You didn't change any BIOS settings
> that would affect IRQ assignments, did you?

If you load the NIC drivers as modules, then how they're assigned to eth0
and eth1 should be, I think, a function of aliases in /etc/modules.conf. IOW
I literally have

    alias eth0 eepro100

in my woody system's modules.conf (put there by my having a file containing
that in /etc/modutils/local and my running update-modules).

I don't see why you couldn't have

    alias eth0 <driver for preferred NIC for eth0>
    alias eth1 <driver for preferred NIC for eth1>

Down side is you have to maintain this. Up side is that you're in control.