Re: Cinalerra

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:25:27 -0500
Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:46:39AM +0800, csj wrote:
>
> > FUD time: I remember reading somewhere in the site that cinelerra is
> > being abandoned by its author because of lawsuit fears (maybe has
> > something to do with the dominance of non-free codecs).
>
> No, that was Broadcast 2000, and since it's GPL someone else has picked it
> up, but they aren't expecting to release anything for a while yet.
>
> > Maybe you're better off seeking UNIX-style stream processing tools. My
> > rather modest multimedia requirements are satisfied by a combination of
> > xawtv, mpgtx mjpegtools and ffmpeg (sourceforge), vcdimager, lame, glame,
> > etc, and viewers like xine and aviplay. Note that the foregoing are
> > program packages rather than individuallly executable programs.
>
> No problem except that they can't do what I want, namely convert DivX video
> to VCD.  (This would require minimal video editing, I suspect, but I won't
> know until I have a way to convert DivX AVI to MPEG in VCD format.)

Maybe you can try using ffmpeg to convert the DivX to MPEG. ffmpeg will
produce a non VCD-compliant MPEG stream which you can then make
compliant using a combination of mpgtx (to demultiplex or split the MPEG
into its component audio and video) and mjpegtools (to multiplex it
back). Finally you use VCDImager on the re-multiplexed MPEG stream. No
editing required, just convert, convert, convert. Maybe you can even use
mplayer to convert the DivX into some sort of weird MPEG format.

But I'm just wondering, why convert a DivX movie to VCD? DivX has a
higher compression ratio (since VCD's tend to have more stringent bitate
requirements). You'll notice the difference only in high-motion scenes,
something quite unlikely with your wedding video. Of course, MPEG is
freer than DivX (but then you have OpenDivX and xvid).