Re: lilo.conf

Herbert Schmitz(herschmitz@gmx.de) is reported to have said:
> Hello list,
>
> i have - surely - a small problem with my lilo-config. I have a 12G-harddisk
> and install first win98, than debian-potato 2.2.17 with boot in the mbr and
> than i install mandrake (i used it now 2 years and won` t stop it) also with
> boot in the mbr. I try a lot, but couldn` t boot Debian from my harddisk. I
> think, something in the lilo.conf is wrong ... i post it here and hope
> someone can say whats wrong (dont look at the label "debian" ... its only one
> of a lot wrong things ....
> Thanks
> Herbert
>
> My lilo.conf:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> default=linux
> keytable=/boot/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.klt
> lba32
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hda4
>         append=" devfs=mount quiet"
>         vga=788
>         read-only
> other=/dev/hda1
>         label=windows
>         table=/dev/hda
> other=/dev/fd0
>         label=floppy
>         unsafe
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=debian
>         root=/dev/hda2
>         vga=normal
>         read-only

Try this
rename /boot/vmlinuz on hda4 to /boot/vmlinuz-mandrake
rename /boot/vmlinuz on hda2 to /boot/vmlinuz-debian
copy /boot/vmlinuz-mandrake to /boot on hda2 (important)
copy /boot/vmlinuz-debian   to boot  on hda4 (important)
Make the changes to lilo.conf (of image=) on both dists
rerun lilo on both mandrake and Debian

I once had 3 different dists in one box.  The above was the way I got
all 3 to boot.  Remember that if you make changes to mandrake or
Debian kernels you have to copy the image to both /boot dirs.

Hope this helps.
--
You can tell how far we have to go, when FORTRAN is the language of
supercomputers.