Re: Freezing with Sound

Stephen Gran wrote:

> Thus spake Aldous B Bernardo:
> >      I recently installed ALSA (0.5.12) on my Potato. When I play something with freeamp or xmms my desktop freezes. The funny thing is that I notice freeamp or xmms still functions well, there is still sound but all the other parts of my desktop including the panel, the launchers, and menu freezes. If I stop freeamp or xmms, then all the  icons that I clicked will execute. I tried  monitoring it on gtop but it seems that cpu usage is about 10% or less only.
> >      Another thing... where do you place the skins in xmms? what directory? I have several skins for winamp and I want to use it in xmms but I dont know where to place it.
> For the freeze - I don't know.  Look through your logs
> (.xsession-errors, kern.log, perhaps alsa's logs - don't use so don't
> know where it logs) and report back.
> The skins on the other hand, are easy. ~/.xmms/Skins/

  the 'freezing' is probably caused by some gnome (or kde, whatever
desktop you use) application trying to play a sound, since the dsp is
already used by xmms (it must be one of the desktop thingies since you
say that the whole desktop is frozen).

 last time I tried both kde and gnome were fairly broken as far as the
sound capabilities go (e.g. programs would die when there's no soundcard
available, programs would froze waiting for sound card to be available
etc.). you might get better results using esd (with gnome, bnot sure if
kde supports is), or disabling all sounds in gnome (kde).

	erik