linuxlogo updating problems

I recently installed a newer version of linuxlogo on my system by using the source from a tarball. I noticed that it placed the  linux_logo binary in another directory instead of where the Debian installation places it. So there was now two locations for linux_logo. I tried removing the older one by using dselect, but after rebooting I noticed that there isn't any linux_logo anymore. I checked whether I still have linux_logo, and the new version is still there while the old one isn't.

How do I fix this thing?

Aldous