Re: What part of X causes major display problems?

ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:

> this is basically telling you that none of the values that might run can.

Yes, I had this Fatal server error when I installed X3. My solution was
adding a modeline, and it worked.

> what kind of output were you getting from x3? greater that 640x480? at
what
> kind of depth?

My X3 output was 640x480, with virtual 800x600. I think my computer can do
higher resolution, I don't have any unused monitors that do anything higher.
The colour depth was 16 bits, but I could probably do higher at the cost of
speed.

> > I fixed the syntax, and I started getting the pixel-lines with my old
> > XF86Config file. I have attached the output of diff after fixing the
> > syntax. There's not much difference between the the versions of
XF86Config.

> given that it did run x3, why not settle for that, since it sounds like
> pretty old and inefficient hardware? i guess the question is why are you
so
> determined to get the latest incarnation of x to work on the least capable
> system?

I am determined to get X4 to work on my machine because...
	a) it is there. If X4 wasn't there, I wouldn't try to get it to work.
	b) I wanted to see if it would use .xsession without changing runlevel.

In X3, the only way on my system to get X to use .xsession was to change to
runlevel 5. I prefer runlevel 2. I knew X read the file, because if I put
something bad into it, X wouldn't run.

> >  I have decided that I _really_ hate the people who send
> > their systems out with insufficient documentation.
>
> so you've google-searched for all the info that might be there pertaining
> the hardware? which raises the next question, what are you working with,

After all my years with the machine, I learned what it could and could not
do. I mightn't have been explicitly told everything, but I knew its basics
and I have checked for some information about my system (some from internet,
some from physical checks (and measurement) of the machine, and some from
the manual).

> trs80's, at&t xt's or what? how old is the machinery and what
manufacturers
> are involved? it kinda sounds like some part of your hardware can't take
the

My hardware isn't too old... it's only 7 years old (I think (and that's the
newest stuff I'm allowed to customise)). Anyway, all that I have been able
to find out about the video setup is that it has a Chips and Technologies
65545 video chip.

> pounding it's getting from x4. are you still getting log messages about
> 'left-alt' and 'meta' keys?

I stopped getting the log messages about "left-alt" and "meta" after
commenting out the problem line.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com