Re: OT: Rant

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:19:49 -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:

>Kent West wrote:
>
>> But that's just it; I need to be able to control the _exact_ appearance
>> of each letter.
>
>Why? I understand wanting to be able to set up paragraph styles with
>options for intra-line spacing, kerning, and so on, but why would you
>need to be able to change these things on a letter-by-letter basis?
>Would your documents really look much different if you had to settle
>for paragraph styles?

My graphic design/desktop publishing type friends would give you all
kinds of answers to that.  For their purposes, they want absolute
control over absolutely everything related to the appearance of their
little jewels.

>> [WP is] just a solid workhorse that I just haven't found in the open
>> source world.
>
>Or anywhere else in the non-open-source world, I bet. There is a reason
>for this: very few people want that kind of power, or the UI complexity
>that goes with it. Reveal Codes is not the sort of thing that your
>average secretary can understand easily.

Maybe not the average steno/receptionist type, but the skilled executive
assistant would find it no more intimidating than any other mark-up
scheme.

I can cite one case where a secretary who sometimes composed sales
brochures refused to switch to MS Word because of the reveal codes.
Because of her mastery of WP, she became the company's 'publisher', at
the 'C' level.  You might say that a power user needs a power app.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash