Re: OT: Rant

on Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:19:49AM -0800, Craig Dickson insinuated:
> > But that's just it; I need to be able to control the _exact_
> > appearance of each letter.
>
> Why? I understand wanting to be able to set up paragraph styles with
> options for intra-line spacing, kerning, and so on, but why would
> you need to be able to change these things on a letter-by-letter
> basis? Would your documents really look much different if you had to
> settle for paragraph styles?

yes, minutely, and enough that it would make me happier.  i love linux
and will never turn back to windoze, but i do every now and then miss
a component of aestheticism that was more present there than it
perhaps ever will be in the linux world.  not that i choose my OS
based on that, as i said, but it would be nice to have similar
capabilites in the open-source world.

> > [WP is] just a solid workhorse that I just haven't found in the
> > open source world.
>
> Or anywhere else in the non-open-source world, I bet. There is a
> reason for this: very few people want that kind of power, or the UI
> complexity that goes with it. Reveal Codes is not the sort of thing
> that your average secretary can understand easily.

ain't true.  i worked in a legal firm; the first thing i was taught
was how to use Word Perfect, and the secretary with whom i worked who
hadn't graduated from high school but who'd been at the firm for ten
years *rocked* at Reveal Codes.  she never turned them off.

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html