Re: OT: Rant

dman wrote:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 04:55:05PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
| And being able to have Left Justified, Center Justified, and Right | Justified text all on the same line,

What!?  This doesn't make sense to me at all.  Left, Center, and Right
Justified describes how the alignment of the line is.  How can a line
be aligned 3 ways simultaneously?  Perhaps you mean to have a 3-column
section where each column has separate alignment?

If you'd ever used this capability in WordPerfect, it'd make sense to you. In Reveal Codes, it'd look something like this:

Left Text Here[CntrJust]Center Text Here[RghtJust]Right Text Here

and it'd print on paper (or screen) like:

Left Text Here		Center Text Here		Right Text Here

(only it'd line up properly).

It beats having to turn on columns and then hide the column lines and then turn off columns to resume normal text, or to use tables.

| Why oh why don't I have the youth and time to learn to program and fix | these things myself?

Go with LaTeX.  It works great.  It isn't too hard to start learning,
as long as you let go with of trying to control the _exact_ appearance
of each letter on the page.

But that's just it; I need to be able to control the _exact_ appearance of each letter. WP could adjust leading and kerning and everything. It's just a solid workhorse that I just haven't found in the open source world.

-D

Kent