Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

7On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:10:39AM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> * dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> spake thus:
> > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> >> While using fetchmail all goes OK until reaching message 91 and then
> >>
> >> 'reading message No 91'
> >> SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
> >> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from (my isp)
> >> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> >>
> >> and then it fetchmail terminates.
> >
> > What is your MDA?  (the "mda" option in fetchmail.conf)  Look in its
> > log file to see why it is failing.
> >
> >> Since each message up to 91 has been downloaded and deleted on the
> >> host I do not understand how the same messages are downloaded on the
> >> next attempt and the above process repeated as many times as i dial
> >> in.
> >
> > I think fetchmail doesn't delete the messages on the server until they
> > are delivered locally.  I'm not sure if it does them in batches at all
> > or not.
>
> That is correct. Use 'fetchmail -B 90' to download *and delete* the
> first 90 messages before doing anything else. Then read the manpage, it
> actually has a lot of usefull information, some of which mentioned
> sockets.

Well, I found that very handy when the process happened a second
time running the other evening.

I also had run $ fetchmail -v -v which gave me some extra output.
What i spied was

message 1 was not the expected length (6802 actual != 6806 expected

faced with the prospect of downloading an incorrectly sized message, it
bailed out.

I have again had the offending message removed and hope that I can
download the messages just now. Any further ideas from this point?
My ISP could see nothing wrong with the message, what should he
look for?

Alles van die beste
Ian