Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 06:25:26PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> | While using fetchmail all goes OK until reaching message 91 and then
> |
> | 'reading message No 91'
> | SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
> | fetchmail: socket error while fetching from (my isp)
> | fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> |
> | and then it fetchmail terminates.
>
> What is your MDA?  (the "mda" option in fetchmail.conf)  Look in its
> log file to see why it is failing.

That is exim but i saw nothing in the exim logs and
I do not appear to have a fetchmail log at all.

In the end i took the cowards way out and accessed my ISP's web
page from my windows machine, found an email option, and deleted
the fist 91 emails which allowed me to resume the download with no
problems.

> | Since each message up to 91 has been downloaded and deleted on the
> | host I do not understand how the same messages are downloaded on the
> | next attempt and the above process repeated as many times as i dial
> | in.
>
> I think fetchmail doesn't delete the messages on the server until they
> are delivered locally.  I'm not sure if it does them in batches at all
> or not.

I see from a rare rtfm exercise that fetchmail will cause the emails
to be deleted only at termination of the download unless you use a
-e option to force this at selected numbers of downloaded emails,
which I intend to try next download

I could not see any option for deleting messages without first
collectiong them - that would have been handy.

--
Ian Balchin
http://www.imaginet.co.za/fables