Re: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

* dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> spake thus:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
>> While using fetchmail all goes OK until reaching message 91 and then
>>
>> 'reading message No 91'
>> SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
>> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from (my isp)
>> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
>>
>> and then it fetchmail terminates.
>
> What is your MDA?  (the "mda" option in fetchmail.conf)  Look in its
> log file to see why it is failing.
>
>> Since each message up to 91 has been downloaded and deleted on the
>> host I do not understand how the same messages are downloaded on the
>> next attempt and the above process repeated as many times as i dial
>> in.
>
> I think fetchmail doesn't delete the messages on the server until they
> are delivered locally.  I'm not sure if it does them in batches at all
> or not.

That is correct. Use 'fetchmail -B 90' to download *and delete* the
first 90 messages before doing anything else. Then read the manpage, it
actually has a lot of usefull information, some of which mentioned
sockets.

Stig

--
brautaset.org
Registered Linux User 107343

``Oh, how I wish `undo' was ported to everyday life.''