[Fwd: OT: Rant]

--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 04:55:05PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> I know it's not appropriate to rant, especially off-topic, but I just gotta!
>
> I really miss WordPerfect! And I wish there were some open-source
> software that did what it does.
>
> For example, Reveal Codes, and being able to find and remove that
> offending font change, or table definition, etc.
>
> And being able to have Left Justified, Center Justified, and Right
> Justified text all on the same line, so you don't have to throw in a
> bunch of spaces to get everything to (maybe) line up.
>
> And the column and table functions.
>
> And the ability to have a caption on an image that doesn't insist on
> including the text "Illustration 1".
>
> The power of WordPerfect is what a Linux-er wants, with the ease of
> operation that an MS-er needs. (I was an MS-er; a three-year Linux-er
> now, but still can't run Tex or even LyX, and the other stuff I've tried
> just doesn't have the power/features.)
>
> Why oh why won't Corel release the old DOS version into the open source
> world?
>
> (Yes, I could purchase the commercial version of Corel Office, but a
> Wine-ified version just doesn't seem kosher, not to mention that this
> would have to come out of my own pocket since the workplace doesn't
> smile friendly yet on Linux, so for now I'm without WP.)
>
> Why won't Abiword and Star/Open Office import .wpd docs (actually,
> Abiword seems to at least get the text, but not the formatting)?
>
> Why oh why don't I have the youth and time to learn to program and fix
> these things myself?
>
> Argghg.
>
> Again, sorry for the ranting, and thank you for letting me vent.
>
> Kent

//

the more use linux, the more i've come to use vi for most of
my word processing.  (i still have the free version of wp8,
but i just don't seem to use it unless i absolutely have
to.)

i think my being weaned from wp(8) (in this case) comes from
wanting to have documents that are not left in propriatary
"fugliness."  true, one can save wp8's in ascii/dos text,
but one loses the formatting, which, aside from big fonts
for address lables, etc., is the only reason i'd use it.  so,
i trade the easy, beautiful formatting (of wp) for a format
that doesn't leave me playing "codependent" games, which
speaks to the bigger issue as to my choice of an os.
(...well, "stability" has something to do with it, too, but
i shan't get carried away....)

another benefit for me is that i'm not relying on wp8 for an
easy "fix."  it makes me focus more on _content_ rather than
on "glitz," an attractive nuisance, like stinking meat to a dog.

further, i've been seduced by, my "clean" (icon-less) desktop
with sweet backgrounds and "see- through" consoles.  i, therefore
try not to use apps that "interfere" with such beauty.

lastly, no one at work or through work has any prob with my
vi "solution."  "in-house" docs or appellate briefs are
tendered with equal aplomb.  (...so, i'm not a
mathematician..., or i'd probably be espousing, um...latex?)

i'm not saying wp(8) can't be the right "tool," but for me,
i just don't need it as much as i used to, philosophically
or otherwise..

b.

//

--- End Message ---