Re: [Fwd: OT: Rant]

Kent wrote:
I really miss WordPerfect! And I wish there were some open-source software that did what it does.

q. wrote:

The more I use linux, the more i've come to use vi for most of
my word processing.

I guess maybe I'm starting from the wrong premise. I'm not trying to do word processing; I'm trying to do Desk Top Publishing, to create a monthly newsletter, with columns and graphics and drop caps and text boxes and etc.

From what I've been able to glean over the years, Tex and its derivatives may be what I want, but each time I try (over the past three years) I just get frustrated and fall back to what I know works (e.g. WordPerfect). I've also come to understand that Tex is perfect for writing books and doctoral theses, and the like, especially if they have fancy mathematical formulas, but that's not the type document I'm trying to do.

So it's not so much that I miss WordPerfect, as it is that I miss being able to accomplish the same tasks that I could in WP.

Surely it's possible, but so far, it's not easy for the average person who does DTP in the MS-Windows world to figure out how to do it in the Linux world (or at least, it hasn't been easy for me).

Anyway, just ranting; I appreciate everyone's courtesy in not flaming me for my OT rant.

Kent