Debian, FHS & /floppy

Dear FHS people,

i am writing to you, spawned by a thread we are having on the debian-user
mailing list[1]. it's basically addressing the lack of inclusion of mount
points like /floppy and /cdrom in the FHS. even though the FHS prohibits
placing *anything* (directories actually) into / which isn't explicitly
allowed, it also dictates that /mnt is to be used as a temporary mount
point. RedHat and other distributions mount floppy and cdrom in and
/mnt/{floppy,cdrom} and we feel that that's even more wrong (section
3.11)

if you agree with us that /floppy and /cdrom are good mount points, then
would you consider amending the 2.3 version of the FHS to include this?
and if you disagree, would you engage in a proper discussion with us?

this is being CCd to the debian-user list, so if you reply, please
include the list in your reply (no need to CC me explicitly).

[1] sorry, the thread hasn't made it into the archives yet. i'll let you
know when it gets there...

void write_thesis(char *subject, char *title} {
  // do something
}