Re: Java Web Start on Debian Potato

Hi Bill!

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> writes:
> [...]
>   I think the problem is that Potato's libc versions are too old to
>   support the post 1.2 JVM's at all (let alone under Java Web Start).

Ok. What libc version do you suggest?

>   For what it's worth, I'm running Java Web Start on testing.

Is it "safe" to upgrade to testing (Woody) *now*? From what I've read
there seem to be bugs creeping in now and then making important parts
(such as XFree 4) unusable. What way of upgrading what you recommend in my
case?

>   p.s. Sun has been pretty responsive to my bug reports. JaWS 1.0.1.01
>   includes fixes to all but one (loading JavaHelp resources) of my
>   reports.

Glad to hear that. Do they *really* support Linux as a platform
(meaining that the Java technologies are tested to the same extent
as they are on Win*)? I've heard that only the Blackdown team tests
natively on Linux. Don't know whether this is true, however.

Thanks in advance for any further advice.

Regards,

	Holger