Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, martin f krafft wrote:

> i am writing to you, spawned by a thread we are having on the debian-user
> mailing list[1]. it's basically addressing the lack of inclusion of mount
> points like /floppy and /cdrom in the FHS. even though the FHS prohibits
> placing *anything* (directories actually) into / which isn't explicitly
> allowed, it also dictates that /mnt is to be used as a temporary mount
> point. RedHat and other distributions mount floppy and cdrom in and
> /mnt/{floppy,cdrom} and we feel that that's even more wrong (section
> 3.11)
>
> if you agree with us that /floppy and /cdrom are good mount points, then
> would you consider amending the 2.3 version of the FHS to include this?
> and if you disagree, would you engage in a proper discussion with us?
>
> this is being CCd to the debian-user list, so if you reply, please
> include the list in your reply (no need to CC me explicitly).
>
> [1] sorry, the thread hasn't made it into the archives yet. i'll let you
> know when it gets there...

This already was discussed on the FHS-discuss mailing list.

The main argument against placing such directories under / is that
they may (they _will_, IMHO) increase clutter as the number of
supported devices increase (e.g. for instance, we _already_ would need
/zip, /jaz, /ls120, among others), or the number of devices supported
by the machine is greater than 1 (e.g. /cdrom0, /cdrom1, /zip0,
etc.). Since we are talking about a hierarchical system, it seems
reasonable to put these instances under a "removable media" directory
(this is being done by some already -- e.g. /mnt/cdrom). However, IIRC
this didn't make up in FHS 2.2 because there were no consensus about
the _name_ that should be reserved to that directory. Some proposed
names I remember were /vol, /misc, and /media (I'm sure there were
others).

BTW, due to the lack of consensus we are already using /media in our
systems. IMHO it fits perfectly with what we are trying to accomplish.

--
Flávio