Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

also sprach Andras Simonyi <simka@ludens.elte.hu> [2002.01.14.1733 +0100]:
> I can't help asking this concerning Debian's FHS compliance: why on
> earth make all the Debian-versions the mount-points of removable media
> in the root directory instead of /mnt/, which is the required standard
> in FHS? Of course I can change /cdrom and /floppy to /mnt/cdrom etc, but
> then I have to change various config files as well (eg. for apt to
> work).

i consider /mnt/{cdrom,floppy} a redhat sickness. first of all, please
show me where the FHS supposedly dictates those two mount points into
/mnt?

then, look at section 3.11:
  "/mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem"

and that's exactly what it's for. so you can mount a filesystem
temporarily. you could still do that if you had /mnt/{cdrom,floppy}, but
when a temp filesystem is mounted, you couldn't access either of the
media, and you might even have troubles mounting on /mnt if a
subdirectory is already used as a mountpoint.

/mnt/{cdrom,floppy} are actually offending the FHS. the FHS has not
specific path for them, but /floppy and /cdrom strike me as the best and
most logical. i should talk to the team and have them add that...

what do others think?

"friendships last when each friend thinks he has
 a slight superiority over the other."
                                                    -- honore debalzac