Re: eql = tun + eth0

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 04:18:56PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to bind /dev/tunl0 and /dev/eth0 under eql? I mean,
> I'd like to have more bandwidth out from both devices.
> The packets will traverse two different default routes, I guess.

Recently I gave eql a try to spread load across two links that I controlled both ends of. I had lots of problems and I believe eql has not been actively maintained in the kernel for a long time. The enslaving of links works for outbound, but not for inbound traffic. I was able to use the /proc/.../rp_filter set to 0 to allow the backtraffic through, but it was in no way 'balanced'.

Then I used the teql queueing discipline in the QoS services. This works much better, is more configurable and actively maintained and documented. Basically eql is a poor mans teql.

So I suggest reading up on the QoS support in the kernel. It also helps to control both ends of your link (rather than two seperate connections to an ISP)

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington
crispin@iinet.net.au