Re: debian-friendly DSL/cable ISP in NYC area?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:25:54AM -0800, Kurt Lieber wrote:
> I'm moving to NYC in the next couple of weeks to start a new job.  Can anyone
> provide recommendations for ISPs that will allow me to run a few debian boxes
> (and one iMac) with a minimum of hassle?  I'm looking to avoid ISPs that
> require proprietary software or funky configs just to get them to work on
> their network.

Speakeasy!  (www.speakeasy.net)  They are very friendly to the idea of
doing more than just websurfing in windows.  They actually *encourage*
the running of servers on their DSL network and are happy to hand out
multiple static IP addresses (they charge for them, but not a huge
amount).  They will handle DNS service for you, or let you do it
yourself if you want (except reverse DNS, which they insist on running,
though they'll make any reasonable changes you ask them to).

They're certainly not the cheapest ISP in the country, but they may very
well be the best.  I've been their customer for a bit more than a year
now, and have not experienced a single unscheduled outtage.

noah