Re: /etc/environment, and xdm/login/pam

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:41:54PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Mark Ferlatte <ferlatte@cryptio.net> [2002.01.11.0948 +0100]:
> > /etc/environment is read by the pam_env.so PAM module.  If you don't
> > have
> >
> > auth required pam_env.so
> >
> > in whichever /etc/pam.d/* correspondes to your login system.

My /etc/pam.d/login does have that line (uncommented even).
That was the one clue I saw about how /etc/environment is
used.  Is there no documentation anywhere (linux documentation
I mean, as opposed to AIX documentation :-)?  /etc/environment
isn't even mentioned in the pam man-page, and I don't have
any pam info in /usr/share/doc...

Well later I'll try google "Linux-PAM system administrator's
guide" (this name mentioned in the pam man page) and see what
turns up.  Just now I have to get back to work.

> > I used gdm, which supports pam... not sure if xdm does.  If it doesn't,
> > then /etc/environment won't work for you.
>
> but why did the /etc/environment trick fix my Perl complaining about
> locales? but then, i can't find that debian-user post which solved it
> for me, and i can't reproduce the perl problems. oh well...

Maybe I happen to have the "in-between" distro that has the "new"
/etc/environment, before they started sourcing /etc/environment
from /etc/X11/Xsession (I'm guessing that they might have
changed the system to do this)?  I assume you have a distro
dated after 2.2R2.  Everyone does :-)

Also maybe you start X from your console after logging in,
in which case your X processes would inherit your environment
which has been initialized properly from your console login.

Or maybe they changed xdm logins to use the real login
(with pam).  Indeed, I just tried a login to xdm, and nothing
shows up in auth.log.

How can I make my xdm login use pam?

--
bjb@achilles.net