RE: RFC: Beginner's vim tutorial

Jesse Goerz <jgoerz@bellsouth.net> wrote:

I just wrote a beginner's vim tutorial over at
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/text_editing/vim.html

I would appreciate it if the vim guru's would take a look at it and let me know if I've made any errors or have any suggestions. What I really need is a co-author who can fill in the gaps. Any help at all would be great.

 --snip-- <

Thanks,
Jesse

I am not a "guru" but I have some comments:

1. THANKS!! I have always considered VI and VIM "impossible" and the associated docs were absolutely confusing. I am now motivated to go "climb that mountain"!

2. I have always had problems at the start remembering keyboard commands on ANY wordprocessor / editor that I have ever tried. VI/VIM has been especially perplexing because I cannot determine the under-lying logic used in its design. This means I am constantly in the "help" section and reading the docs and never get any work done. Eventually I give up and go to something that I have already learned and use it. Are you aware of ANY documention that will give a historicaly perspective about VI/VIM? How did it evolve? Why was this particular set of commands chosen? Is there any "logic" (neumonics?) available to help remember important commands for the beginner? (Example: Wordstar's command keys were layed out in a geometric manner on the keyboard. Once I knew this I could usually figure out a command sequence and NOT have to refer to the docs/help menus nearly as much.)

3. I have heard that you will usually find VI or a clone on any Unix-based computer you run across. It is almost a "universal" editor in the Unix world. This means learning VI/VIM allows you to perform editing functions on a WIDE variety of platforms independent of the underlying arch or specific OS. That is not a "bad" skill to have, IMHO.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-