Re: squirrelmail: apache/php and register_globals

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2002.01.11.0253 +0100]:
> > the php.ini setting works perfectly, *unless* you try to override it, in
> > which case it will *always* and *automatically*, without warning, and
> > without futher ado, turn itself off by the time that the first actual
> > script is parsed. this should not be, i find.
>
> Your php4 is stoned. Mine does not do this.

lucky it. it's a vanilla install with register_globals being the *only*
thing i changed (to off) in php.ini.

> Are you sure that, for some weird, bogon-spurned reason, you don't have
> something overriding your php_value, such as a stray .htaccess?  What does
> the apache runtime config info module (I forget the name, it is the
> companion to the one that creates the /server-status URL) say?

no clue what that is.

here is my testing procedure, which led me to my conclusion (after hours
of swearing at the squirrelmail developers...)

the only "setting" involved is register_globals:

i replaced the /usr/share/squirrelmail/index.php with my own,
containing:

  phpinfo(INFO_CONFIGURATION);
  exit;

and left everything else untouched.

phpinfo gives two columns: master value and local value. master is what
php.ini dictates, local is the effective (final) value.

with .htaccess i mean an .htaccess file in /usr/share/squirrelmail,
containing only that one option... and dconf we'll use for the apache
<Directory> configuration option of register_globals:

here are the permutations. a blank entry means that the setting was not
included (commented out, or deleted .htaccess). i tried them all out
again just for confirmation, and your pleasure...

php.ini  |  dconf  |  .htaccess  ||  master  |  local
  Off    |  On     |     On      ||   Off    |   Off          // NOT OK
  Off    |  On     |             ||   Off    |   Off          // NOT OK
  Off    |         |     On      ||   Off    |   Off          // NOT OK
  Off    |  Off    |     Off     ||   Off    |   Off          // ok
  Off    |  Off    |             ||   Off    |   Off          // ok
  Off    |         |     Off     ||   Off    |   Off          // ok
  Off    |         |             ||   Off    |   Off          // ok
  On     |  On     |     On      ||   On     |   Off          // NOT OK
  On     |  On     |             ||   On     |   Off          // NOT OK
  On     |         |     On      ||   On     |   Off          // NOT OK
  On     |  Off    |     Off     ||   On     |   Off          // ok
  On     |  Off    |             ||   On     |   Off          // ok
  On     |         |     Off     ||   On     |   Off          // ok
  On     |         |             ||   On     |   On           // ok

and yes, i am very certain to not have left stray .htaccess files.

it is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to basic: as potential
programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
                                                           -- dijkstra