Re: xterm and the backspace key, the saga continues.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 12:34:03PM +0100, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Quoting crispin@iinet.net.au (crispin@iinet.net.au):
> > > Hmm, this works, but it still does not fix my delete key behaviour.
> > Sounds like your term info's screwy.
>
> > echo $TERM
>
> [12:26] [ssmeenk@espresso:~] % echo $TERM
> xterm-color

mines 'xterm'. You could try

export TERM=xterm

but Im pretty sure that wont fix it...

> > Then type
> > infocmp
>
> [12:27] [ssmeenk@espresso:~] % infocmp
> #	Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-color
> xterm-color|generic "ANSI" color xterm (X Window System),
> 	dch=\E[%p1%dP, dch1=\E[P, dl=\E[%p1%dM, dl1=\E[M, ed=\E[J,

Ok. dch1 is the delete character. This is correct. Mine is

dch=\E[%p1%dP, dch1=\E[P, dl=\E[%p1%dM, dl1=\E[M

So I cant tell you what it is. But I can tell you what its not. When you press delete what should happen is a delete code gets sent through the the underlying programme as a sequence of codes. This is transparent to the programme through ncurses, but needless to say your delete caharcter in terminfo is OK.

So what I expect is happenning is when you press delete, the escape sequence \E[P isn't being sent at all, a ~ is.

Try showkey -s

then press delete and see what is dumped out. Post that back.

the command dumpkeys might also help. Send the entry for delete

dumpkeys | grep -i del

I have a book on all of this, but its at home. Ill bring it in to work tomorrow and if you haven't had any other answers, Ill see if that can help

Kind Regards

Crispin