Re: this debconf stuff is crazy!

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:13:25AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:

| If the config script can't tell the difference between a version 3
| config file and one for version 4, it's pretty dumb. The filenames
| aren't even the same.

If you are using X4 and have only XF86Config (not XF86Config-4) then
it will work (assuming the file is for version 4).  Thus the names
_can_ be the same.  They also _can_ be different to support running
both X3 and X4.

| >   The X configuration has come a long, long way and is very
| >   nearly automatic, and that's a good thing.
|
| It doesn't work well enough to be useful, though, and that's a bad thing
| that outweighs the good. For now, at least.

Yeah, but FWIW de[bx]conf hasn't caused problems for me.  I first saw
it when I installed woody (potato base -> dist-upgrade -> install
everything else) and it correctly generated the config for me
(vesafb).  On my desktop machine I had hand-made a config for an SiS
card, then adjusted it to use vesafb as well.  I told debconf to leave
me alone and it has.

-D

--

Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.