Re: this debconf stuff is crazy!

begin Justin R. Miller <incanus@codesorcery.net>
> Thus spake Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > ok, my XF86Config-4 is all wrong now.  i need to edit this file.  if
> > we're not supposed to edit between the "BEGIN DEBCONF" and "END
> > DEBCONF", how the hell am i supposed to get a working XFree86 again?
> >
> > is there a tool that allows us to change this file?
>
> Try 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'.

just to be very clear on the issue, this isn't acceptable to me.

i have very special mode timings and options that i use that aren't
available if i reconfigure the package using dpkg.  this stuff needs to
be put in by hand.

i like the chattr idea.  just when you thought debian does the Right
Thing, they start fscking up by automating somthing which really doesn't
require automating...

(debian is still the best.  just slightly less better).

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org