Re: routing help on dual homed box

Maybe the Cox networking in your town isn't up to snuff.

I have a h/w configuration just like yours, using dhcp-client
2.0pl4-2, and it works like a charm.

I did have to create /etc/dhclient.conf :
  interface "eth0" {
      send host-name "cx99999-X";
  }
where cx99999-X is my own host name.  Did you disable
/etc/rcS.d/S40pump?

As for the firewall script, I put it in /etc/init.d, and execute
it from /etc/init/networking, just after the "ifup -a".

If you have a better place to put it, I'd love to hear it...

On Monday 07 January 2002 11:57 am, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2002 2:57 pm, Serge Rey wrote:

> > > -------------------
> > > # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8),
> > > ifdown(8)
> > >
> > > # The loopback interface
> > > auto lo
> > > iface lo inet loopback
> > >

> > > # LAN
> > > auto eth0
> > > iface eth0 inet static
> > >     address 192.168.0.1
> > >     netmask 255.255.255.0
> > >

> > > # WAN (ADSL)
> > > auto eth1
> > > iface eth1 inet dhcp
> > > -------------------
> > >
> > > This will setup the interfaces correctly (well, for my network,
> > > as per above you want to switch eth0 and eth1).
> >
> > thanks for the tips. with these and alan's suggestions i've got it
> > working now.
> >
> > one thing i noticed is that yesterday, the connection would drop
> > sporadically throughout the day. it was on for 6 or so hours, then
> > dropped. last night it dropped 2x after an hour or so. it has
> > stayed up overnight however, so i don't know if this was a
> > temporary issue with cox - i don't think it is a software/config
> > issue. the only thing that fixes the connection when it goes down
> > is to power cycle the modem and bring the eth0 interface down and
> > than back up.
>
> I heard this happen when people have used "pump" as the dhcp client
> program rather than "dhclient".   It seems to be that your dhcp lease
> runs out and it is not automatically being renewed.
>
> try installing the debian dhcp-client package rather than pump.  It
> comes with a configuration file (/etc/dhclient.conf), but I have
> found it works fine with the default of all possible parameters
> commented out.

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com       |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! "Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."           !
!    Unknown                                                 !