Re: routing help on dual homed box

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 03:22:13PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:22:49AM -0800, Serge Rey wrote:
>
> | now i'm trying to figure out the best way to automate this. i think my
> | problems the last few days were in the sequencing of configuring the
> | following mix of things
> |
> | eth1 - lan
> | eth0 - dhcp
> | firewall script
> |
> | the latter runs some masqing of the lan and has to run immediately after
> | eth0 is assigned an ip (so that the external connection is configured
> | correctly in the fw).
> |
> | any suggestions of how to do this the proper (i.e., debian) way within
> | the context of the bootup scripts?
>

> -------------------
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>

> # LAN
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.0.1
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>

> # WAN (ADSL)
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
> -------------------
>
> This will setup the interfaces correctly (well, for my network, as per
> above you want to switch eth0 and eth1).

thanks for the tips. with these and alan's suggestions i've got it
working now.

one thing i noticed is that yesterday, the connection would drop
sporadically throughout the day. it was on for 6 or so hours, then
dropped. last night it dropped 2x after an hour or so. it has stayed up
overnight however, so i don't know if this was a temporary issue with
cox - i don't think it is a software/config issue. the only thing that
fixes the connection when it goes down is to power cycle the modem and
bring the eth0 interface down and than back up.

--
Sergio J. Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
I look at coding like skiing: if I don't fall on my face