Re: routing help on dual homed box

On Monday 07 January 2002 2:57 pm, Serge Rey wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 03:22:13PM -0500, dman wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:22:49AM -0800, Serge Rey wrote:
> > | now i'm trying to figure out the best way to automate this. i think my
> > | problems the last few days were in the sequencing of configuring the
> > | following mix of things
> > |
> > | eth1 - lan
> > | eth0 - dhcp
> > | firewall script
> > |
> > | the latter runs some masqing of the lan and has to run immediately
> > | after eth0 is assigned an ip (so that the external connection is
> > | configured correctly in the fw).
> > |
> > | any suggestions of how to do this the proper (i.e., debian) way within
> > | the context of the bootup scripts?
> >
> > -------------------
> > # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
> >
> > # The loopback interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >

> > # LAN
> > auto eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> >     address 192.168.0.1
> >     netmask 255.255.255.0
> >

> > # WAN (ADSL)
> > auto eth1
> > iface eth1 inet dhcp
> > -------------------
> >
> > This will setup the interfaces correctly (well, for my network, as per
> > above you want to switch eth0 and eth1).
>
> thanks for the tips. with these and alan's suggestions i've got it
> working now.
>
> one thing i noticed is that yesterday, the connection would drop
> sporadically throughout the day. it was on for 6 or so hours, then
> dropped. last night it dropped 2x after an hour or so. it has stayed up
> overnight however, so i don't know if this was a temporary issue with
> cox - i don't think it is a software/config issue. the only thing that
> fixes the connection when it goes down is to power cycle the modem and
> bring the eth0 interface down and than back up.

I heard this happen when people have used "pump" as the dhcp client program
rather than "dhclient".   It seems to be that your dhcp lease runs out and it
is not automatically being renewed.

try installing the debian dhcp-client package rather than pump.  It comes
with a configuration file (/etc/dhclient.conf), but I have found it works
fine with the default of all possible parameters commented out.

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk