Re: Configuring your network (WAS Unidentified subject!)

On Monday 07 January 2002 5:11 pm, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
>  I am in a precarious situation :

So why call it Unidentified subject?

>  One fine morning , my boss pulled out a cable to
>  connect the 2 switches (1 switch for one LAN).
>  This may be what it looks like :
>
>  (machines                       (machines
>  10.10.1.*)                      192.255.255.*)
>  [switch1]  -------------------- [switch2]
>
>   LAN1's                          LAN2's
>   computers                       computers
>   connected                       connected
>   to this switch                  to this switch

Don't understand - which cable got pulled - and why can't you put it back. If
its the one connecting your two lans together how is it ever going to work?
How far apart are these two lans can they be turned into one big one?

Also what are these switches - routers or an ethernet bridge or a linux box?
Can they be configured?

How are the machines in the lans allocated their ip addresses - are you using
dhcp and if so where is the server that does this?

I assume this is all private addresses on a private network.  In which case
you should be using these ranges.

10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

192.255.255.* should not be used

>  This choice came out of the blue and I do not
>  have time to work out my basics right !
>
>  I am too tensed up to think. My thinking is
>  I will have to get the 192.255.255.*  LAN
>  over to 10.something.something.something .

Well if your all tensed up then you are bound to make a mistake configuring
this lot  :-)

>  One is Class A , the other is Class C ,
>  so may be I will make all of them onto
>  Class A.

I think these distinctions are not important these days.  Just think of how
many bits you want to use for address and set the netmasks appropriately.

>  Well , my boss wants the Proxy (to the Internet)
>  {and later the firewall which I will then ask you}
>  to be on 192.255.255.1 . That means the
>  10.10.1.* guys will have to reach the other LAN
>  via the switch and then use the Proxy.

How can you do this when your boss has removed the cable? - but seriously you
will have to tell them the route - if its debian/linux that is acting as the
switch/router then you can just do that by defining parameters in the
/etc/network/interfaces file on each machine or with the route command (look
at the man page for route)

>  Is my line of thinking right ? ie: Converting the Class C
>  -based LAN2 's IP Addresses over to the 10.*.*.*  ,
>  so that both Windoze and Linux can see LAN2 .

Where did these boxes come from.  Give us some more clear facts about your
configuration, types of connection between the lans and what you can
configure and we may be able to help.  At the moment you haven't given us
enough info.

Just out of curiousity - why did the boss pull the cable and why didn't he
give you any advice as to how to solve the problem he had created by removing
the cable?

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk