Re: routing help on dual homed box

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:22:49AM -0800, Serge Rey wrote:

| now i'm trying to figure out the best way to automate this. i think my
| problems the last few days were in the sequencing of configuring the
| following mix of things
|
| eth1 - lan
| eth0 - dhcp
| firewall script
|
| the latter runs some masqing of the lan and has to run immediately after
| eth0 is assigned an ip (so that the external connection is configured
| correctly in the fw).
|
| any suggestions of how to do this the proper (i.e., debian) way within
| the context of the bootup scripts?

-------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# LAN
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

# WAN (ADSL)
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
-------------------

This will setup the interfaces correctly (well, for my network, as per
above you want to switch eth0 and eth1).

I wrote /etc/init.d/FIREWALL, a shell script I wrote to configure
iptables.  Then I added a symlink to it

$ ls -l /etc/rc2.d
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Aug 19 16:59 S13FIREWALL -> /etc/init.d/FIREWALL

The iptables rules use 'eth1' to refer to the external interface, not
a hard-coded IP since it can't be known ahead of time.

-D

--

Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.