Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 07:30:12AM -0800, Richard Otte wrote:
| I read this thread with interest, and can tell  you one reason why I
| often login as root using gdm.  I recently got a machine with gdm
| installed, and began shutting down in my usual way by
| su root
| shutdown -h now
|
| This had the result that gnome was saving every application that was
| open, and opening it and more when I restarted.  Before too long I had
| 180 open rxvt windows at startup.  I finally figured out that if I close
| every window, use the gnome panel to log out, log in as root, then
| shutdown, I only get a few applications opening up at startup.

It has nothing to do with logging in as root, just with how you left
GNOME.  Older versions of gnome used to ask if you wanted to save the
session when you logged out.  The current version just does it (but I
think it can be turned off in the control panel).  Even if you didn't
shutdown at all you would still get those windows when you logged in
again.

| I would gladly like to avoid logging in as root in gdm, but this is the
| only way I've been able to avoid hundreds of open windows at startup.
| Is there an easier way?  (As you can tell, I'm new to gdm).

You can log in to a console and shutdown, or add the SystemMenu to gdm
and shutdown from that menu.  Or you can just adjust gnome's session
saving semantics and shutdown from an xterm/rxvt/whatever.

-D

                                     .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cooking