Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

I read this thread with interest, and can tell  you one reason why I
often login as root using gdm.  I recently got a machine with gdm
installed, and began shutting down in my usual way by
su root
shutdown -h now

This had the result that gnome was saving every application that was
open, and opening it and more when I restarted.  Before too long I had
180 open rxvt windows at startup.  I finally figured out that if I close
every window, use the gnome panel to log out, log in as root, then
shutdown, I only get a few applications opening up at startup.

I would gladly like to avoid logging in as root in gdm, but this is the
only way I've been able to avoid hundreds of open windows at startup.
Is there an easier way?  (As you can tell, I'm new to gdm).

Ric