Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

Michael Dickey wrote:

> Seems a silly question, but...
> Just installed Gnome & GDM on my son's computer along with a lot of the
> Debian-junior packages. Now I find that I cannot login as root - I always get
> the message "The system administrator is not allowed to login from this
> screen" I can do some system admin stuff from an xterm if I su root, but how
> do I actually do a root login and use Gnome as root so I can configure it?

That's a gdm option. By default root is not allowed to log in directly;
you have to log in as a user and su root. If you want to change this,
there's a clearly-labeled option ("AllowRoot" under [security], if I
recall) in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. Or if you like GUIs, you can run the gdm
configuration program from gdm itself. Look for "setup" or "config" or
something of that sort in the login screen's menu.

Craig