Re: printing stopped working--any ideas?

Thus spake Luke Call:
> When I try to print directly to /dev/lp0 from the command line ("cat
> filename.txt > /dev/lp0") nothing happens; printing from applications
> like gimp doesn't work either. It did work until recently, and I've
> tried various HOWTOs, searching the web, and taking the system back to
> the same configuration it had when it was working, but now I'm stumped
> and out of ideas. It's not the printer because it works when I boot
> windows instead. Any tips or things I could try?
>
> I'm using a debian "stable" system on intel, with some packages upgraded
> to "testing", and a 2.4.5 or 2.4.17 kernel. It did work with this
> configuration before, not sure what else I may have changed. Thanks in
> advance for any ideas, good or bad.
try modprobe lp - it sounds like the same problem I had when I forgot
to let my computer know about the lp module.  Try also lsmod to see
what's loaded, and if you see nothing related to the printer, grep LP
/usr/src/linux/.config to see if it's disabled.  The reason I say all
this is that if you can't cat or echo anything to the printer, there's
probably no kernel recognition of it - check also in dmesg.
Hmmm . . . looking back at my message, I see that I'm being
scatterbrained.  Must remeber to sleep before emailing.  Hopefully it
will make some sense to you.
Steve
--
#if _FP_W_TYPE_SIZE < 32
#error "Here's a nickle kid.  Go buy yourself a real computer."