Re: printing stopped working--any ideas?

lpd is running, I'm using CUPS, so maybe(?) that means I don't have an lpr (this is tricky for me to put all these pieces together in my head, still). If I print from gimp, lpstat briefly shows an item in the queue, then the item is gone, with no other effects I can see. I checked the /var/spool/lpd area and the only contents are two 21 and 25 byte files, /var/spool/lpd/lp/lock and .../status.

I didn't see anything useful in the /var/logs/messages or .../syslog. If I boot into win2k I can print fine on the same printer, even from the command-line there ("type filename.txt > LPT1").

It all was working a few days ago, just before I changed from 2.4.17 to 2.4.5 kernels, reconfigured vmware 2.04 for the 2.4.5 kernel (won't run on 2.4.17 I guess), changed some security on /dev/lp0 and on /dev/parport0, then changed all those things back to the way they were before (I think!).

Anything else I can check for, to see why "cat > /dev/lp0" does nothing? I'm a little rough on this aspect of things. Thanks!!!

Luke