printing stopped working--any ideas?

When I try to print directly to /dev/lp0 from the command line ("cat filename.txt > /dev/lp0") nothing happens; printing from applications like gimp doesn't work either. It did work until recently, and I've tried various HOWTOs, searching the web, and taking the system back to the same configuration it had when it was working, but now I'm stumped and out of ideas. It's not the printer because it works when I boot windows instead. Any tips or things I could try?

I'm using a debian "stable" system on intel, with some packages upgraded to "testing", and a 2.4.5 or 2.4.17 kernel. It did work with this configuration before, not sure what else I may have changed. Thanks in advance for any ideas, good or bad.

Luke Call