trying to run VMwareworkstation 3.0.0-1455..says I have wrong kernel headers

during the run of vmware-config.pl it keeps asking for the
location of the kernel headers, so I tell it /usr/include
but it complains: (I am running testing (woody)):

------------- Begining of config log------------------

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.13) does not match your running
kernel (version 2.2.19).  Even if the module were to compile successfully, it
would not load into the running kernel.

------------------- End of message---------------------------

Apparently it doesn't like the presence of

/usr/include/linux/version.h (part of libc6-dev package):

 /usr/include/linux/version.h
 #define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.13"
 #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132109
 #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

How do I get it to work. I need to compile a module, I suppose I could go
through the business of upgrading my kernel ....

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Note I am running the tar ball rather
than the rpm since alien didn't create a package that worked.

-walter