installing DVD player

I recently acquired a DVD player from another Linux machine, and am
considering installing it in my Linux machine.  I have an IDE  CD-RW in
the machine, and  can hook the Dvd up to the end of the ribbon connected
to the CDRW.  But I wonder what sort of software modifications I would
have to make to use the Dvd player.  I assume it wouldn't be as simple
as simply making an entry into /etc/fstab.  Would I have to make a new
Kernal?  Anyway, I've never done anything like this, and if anyone has
any suggestions I'd like to hear them.  I'm trying to decide if it is
worth the trouble to hook up.  Thanks,

Ric