Re: trying to run VMwareworkstation 3.0.0-1455..says I have wrong kernel headers

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Walter Tautz wrote:

> during the run of vmware-config.pl it keeps asking for the
> location of the kernel headers, so I tell it /usr/include
> but it complains: (I am running testing (woody)):
>
> ------------- Begining of config log------------------
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include
>
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.13) does not match your running
> kernel (version 2.2.19).  Even if the module were to compile successfully, it
> would not load into the running kernel.

Walter,

	That output you quote above is somewhat surprising to me. When I
installed it, instead of pointing to /usr/src/linux/include , the default
was pointing to something like /lib/modules/2.4.15-pre1/build/include/
for me. I was a bit surprised by that, but it appears that 'make
modules_install" puts the headers there. I didnt have any other modules,
but I did a 'make modules_install' and things worked out fine for me.

Regards,
Jor-el