kernel complaint

Excuse my newbie-ness; I'm not even sure this is a good place to post this
question. If anyone could even point me in a direction where I could get
some information on my problem I'd appreciate it, though.

I have an Intellistation Z Pro which is a few years old with two Pentium
II Xeon 450MHz processors. sda1 is for windows, sda2 is swap, sda3 is the
root partition, and hda1 is storage for both os's. Windows happily
believes it's the only OS- LILO's boot record lives on sda3 and I boot
from a floppy with a lilo.conf reading "boot=/dev/fd0"
and "root=/dev/sda3."

I've tried recompiling the kernel, both with versions 2.4.12 and 2.2.
(notsure-18 or 19), with the intent of activating SMP support. Upon
attempting to boot the new kernel, I get a kernel panic: unable to mount
root on device 08:03 (which, I remember discovering somewhere, would
be /dev/sda3). I read around some and found in the SMP HOW-TO that LILO
breaks on the root= command when confronted with multiple XEONs, and that
I must "use rdev".

However I've also tried recompiling the kernel /without/ SMP support and I
get the same error. This is compounded by the fact that I don't know the
proper method of using rdev is this scenario.

Help?

Thank you.

-Bryan R
btrichter@ucdavis.edu