Re: kernel complaint

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:01:43PM -0800, btrichter@ucdavis.edu wrote:

| I have an Intellistation Z Pro which is a few years old with two Pentium
| II Xeon 450MHz processors.
| I've tried recompiling the kernel,
| intent of activating SMP support. Upon attempting to boot the new
| kernel, I get a kernel panic: unable to mount root on device 08:03
| However I've also tried recompiling the kernel /without/ SMP support and I
| get the same error.

This error has nothing to do with SMP.  You have probably done one (or
more) of the following :

    o   not included your disk driver in the kernel (you will need
        both the driver for your IDE controller and your SCSI
        controller)

    o   not included support for your root filesystem (probably ext2)

    o   otherwise misconfigured your kernel

The solution is to carefully go through all the options in the
configuration tool and verify that you have included all the necessary
drivers.  You can't have your SCSI controller as a module since that
would require reading the disk to load the module that allows reading
the disk to load the module... .  Alternatively you can just install
kernel-image-2.4.16-686-smp or kernel-image-2.4.17-686-smp and setup
lilo correctly (RTFM on 'initrd' too).

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time