Re: The right way to power off a computer as non-root

Hi,

> I use my computer as a workstation and thus I think it would be a good idea
> to be able to switch it of as user without being root.
> [.1).]make it sudo-able
> [.2).]put the executable into a special group
AFAIR, putting shutdown in a group will not work. You'll have to add the SUID Bit as well, which is quite never a good idea.

I use the sudo approach and am quite lucky with it.
Therefore i have these lines in /etc/sudoers:

User_Alias      SHUTDOWNERS=markus
# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias      SHUTDOWN=/sbin/shutdown -[hkr] now
# User privilege specification
SHUTDOWNERS     ALL=SHUTDOWN,NOPASSWD: ALL

--
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577
http://counter.li.org                http://www.grunwald.2xs.de