The right way to power off a computer as non-root

Hello,

I use my computer as a workstation and thus I think it would be a good idea
to be able to switch it of as user without being root.
I had two ideas of making this possible. The one is to make it sudo-able and
the other is to put the executable into a special group (e.g. poweroffer)
and then make the binaries suid-root executable for this group and put the
users which ought to be allowed to poweroff the workstation into this group.

Of course this would be possible with gdm, but due to some other problems
with gdm I reported a time ago which I still have not fixed I don't want to
use gdm.

thanks,
thomas
  «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»