Re: Sound newbie ... what is OSS, ALSA, etc all about?

Rick Macdonald <rickmacd@home.com> writes:

> Brian -
>
> I suspect that the OSS support for my SB Live isn't very complete. Any
> idea if there is OSS vs ALSA comparative information anywhere about
> support for particular cards?

Not that I know of.  The OSS emu10k1 drivers are reasonably up to date,
and I use them myself.  They're based on a snapshot of Creative's
opensource drivers, the latest of which can be found here:

http://opensource.creative.com/snapshot.html

Supposedly, the emu10k1 drivers in ALSA only recently stopped sucking,
though I haven't tried them yet.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org