Re: emergency shutdown?

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:57:47AM -0500, P Prince wrote:
| Simon,
|
| On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Simon R Tod wrote:
|
| > My laptop's been left on for the past 48 hours. When I came back to it
| > this morning it was very hot, the fan was kicking in evert minute or two

Since you were compiling a kernel, I would expect it to get warmer.
The CPU works harder compiling a kernel than it does doing nothing
:-).  (still, it shouldn't get that hot)

| > and everything was working really slowly.... It's now just ceased up
| > completely. The text has disappeared off my xterm and I can't get any
| > movement out of the mouse. I don't see how I can do anything but just
| > turn the power off, leave it for a few hours to cool down then reboot.
|
| Hey, it happens.  Often.

It shouldn't.

| The results are no worse than a Windows hard-reboot,

If you are lucky.  Linux does quite a bit of disk cacheing to improve
performance.  If you hard-reboot before it has written those blocks to
disk you have major problems.  If the machine was idle for a while
(and running!) then the disks will be synced and you are probably ok.

-D

--

Stay away from a foolish man,
for you will not find knowledge on his lips.