Re: emergency shutdown?

on Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:38:34PM +0000, Simon R Tod (S.R.Tod@damtp.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

Don't cross-post.  Reply sent to debian-user only.

> My laptop's been left on for the past 48 hours.

Six days here.  Uptimes of up to 22 days.

> When I came back to it this morning it was very hot, the fan was
> kicking in evert minute or two and everything was working really
> slowly....

Not unusual if it's working hard or swapping heavily.

> It's now just ceased up completely. The text has disappeared off my
> xterm and I can't get any movement out of the mouse.

Ditto.

> I don't see how I can do anything but just turn the power off, leave
> it for a few hours to cool down then reboot.

Try switching to a console.  Sometimes your X session is less
responsive.  If you've got a network, try ssh'ing into the box.  If
you've got a serial connection (handheld can serve as a terminal),
likely solve your memory problems).  A hard boot isn't _desireable_, but
it's not fatal.  Cooling likely need only be for 10 minutes or so,
unless your system has R-48 insulation.

> Ouch I don't like that idea. The problem is, I was in the process of
> upgrading my kernel - all I've got left to do is alter my
> /etc/lilo.conf file, run lilo, and shutdown.

A kernel build can do interesting things, including make your CPU run
hard.  You didn't say how long the build had been running, mine tend to
be 10 - 40 minutes for PIII-600 - PPro 180 systems.

> Because I hadn't altered the config file will it just reboot anyway,
> using the old kernel?

Yes, particularly if you hadn't installed the new kernel yet.

> What worries me is that in the process of installing the kernel,
> apt-get set up / applied (whatever the right terminology is!) a boot
> block. Is this going to prevent the thing from rebooting? And if so,
> so I don't reach the boot message that allows me to pick the Debian or
> Windows OS', is there anything I can do?

Boot.  Hit a key (tab, space, whatever) when you get to the LILO prompt.
You should get a list of kernels to boot.  Debian gives vmlinuz.old as
the default old kernel, you should be able to boot it.

For a rescue disk, I'd strongly recommend LNX-BBC:
http://www.lnxbbc.org/.  Tom's Root/Boot is good, but the 2.0.x kernel
series misses features needed on many current systems (ext2fs has
changed, ext3fs or reiserfs are unsupported).

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org