Re: MBR 13FA

On Tuesday 01 January 2002 08:11 pm, Paul A. Thomas wrote:
> MBR FA13:

You're seeing the GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) boot menu.
F = floppy
A = advanced
1 = boot 1st partition
3 = boot 3rd partition

(don't quote me, as I don't use grub, only seen it in passing.)

<snip>

> 1:  What program can I use to redirect the boot process to the proper
> partition on the hard drive? Changing settings using CFDISK has not
> yielded anything useful, and I doubt modifying a config file would
> affect the initial boot process (??)  Searching 'MBR 13FA' yields
> basically nothing either in Google or at Debian.org and my knowledge of
> Linux/Unix does not yet allow me to form questions using the proper
> verbiage or tags, tho the results are often interesting.

Try googling for grub, you should get better docs there.

> 2:  Is Debian version 2.2.r4 also known as 2.2.19 ? The CD's I
> downloaded from cdimage.debian.org state they are Potato, Stable and
> dated Nov 5 2001, however I note that one or more of the programs run at
> login state they are part of version 2.2.19... ( I have seen mention of
> 2.2.24 more than once but am not sure where/why )  Does Debian use older
> portions of prior releases without updating their echo line or did I
> make more than the one or two mistakes I thought I made?

No mistake.  _Debian's_ current release is version 2.2r4 (cd).  The Linux
kernel version that is installed is version 2.2.19.  Linux is the kernel,
debian is the distribution.  Somewhat akin to Internet Exploder version 6
with Windows version 95.  Bad analogy, but it seems to help some.

> 3:  During setup I chose to manually install applications instead of
> taking bulk packaged sets.  A minute later I realized there were
> thousands of programs on the CD's and the web and that I had no idea
> what most of them were.  Short of running the installation program
> again, is there a command line program which allows me to at least place
> a few 'basic' packages up?

Try running 'tasksel' as root.  Should allow you to go back to that 'bulk
packaged' set selection.

HTH
- --
vmann
reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,map(lambda
x:chr(ord(x)^42),tuple('zS^BED\nX_FOY\x0b')))
GnuPG/PGP Fingerprint CE80 018B D825 6DF1 4990  C15F E11A B17E 4A0C D133
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator #563619
Whidbey Linux Users Group - http://www.wlug.net
http://vmann.net