Re: xscreensaver requires manual activation

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 10:18:39PM -0600, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| on Tue, 01 Jan 2002 08:01:08PM -0500, dman insinuated:
| > On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 05:24:12PM -0600, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| > | (potato, 2.4.9)
| > | running xscreensaver but it hasn't for some time started up by itself
| > | when i start X.  it says it is:
| > |
| > | orange:~> xscreensaver
| > | xscreensaver: already running on display :0.0 (window 0x800001)
| > |  from process 432 (nori@orange).
| >
| > I would track this down, this is likely the source of the problem.
| > My guess is that there is a lock file sitting somewhere with "432"
| > in it. What is process 432?  I get this from everybuddy frequently
| > the time because it doesn't remove the lock file when I logout from
| > gnome and then thinks it is already running when it isn't.
|
| not sure what you're talking about here ... what exactly is a
| lockfile, and how would i go about tracking it down and killing it?
| here's everything i know about process 432:
|
| orange:~> ps aux | grep xscr
| nori       432  0.0  0.6  2964  840 ?        S     2001   0:04 /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver

That looks correct at least.

| as for anything i know about lockfiles,
|
| orange:~> ls -la /var/lock/
| total 2
| drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         1024 Jan  1 07:36 ./
| drwxr-xr-x   17 root     root         1024 Aug 22 11:03 ../
|
| ... nothing having to do with a lockfile on xscreensaver.  would it be
| there?  if not, where?

I would expect to find it under ~ somewhere, but I don't see one here
either.  To continue with my example from before, everybuddy dumps its
pid in ~/.everybuddy/.lock.  The next time it is run it looks for that
file, and if it is found checks to see if that process is running.  If
it is run early on one time and the lock file is left behind, then the
next time a gnome-terminal or something may get that pid and
everybuddy (incorrectly) thinks it is already running.  (this happens
if I shut down frequently)

-D

--

Better a little with righteousness