Re: "C" Manual

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:11:57PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Eric G. Miller wrote:

> >>K&R 2nd edition, which is the only edition you can buy these days, deals
> >>with ANSI C.  It is completely accurate and I recommend it to anyone
> >>learning C.
> >>

> > Unless a 3rd edition comes out, it is no longer up to date.  But, AFAIK,
> > there is only one fully comformant C99 compiler and it isn't gcc (although,
> > gcc 3.0 is pretty close).  I don't know that I'd recommend K&R to someone
> > who doesn't have any programming experience, but it's still worth having
> > around for reference.
>

> Similarly, Stanley Lippman's C++ Primer (3rd edition?) may not be the
> best for a beginner since it's in the style of K&R but it's a great C++
> reference.

K&R C (2nd Edition) has everything I ever wanted to know about
ANSI C, except about const.

It may be small, but it is quite complete.  It is a pleasant
change to be able to carry around a 200 page book which is
an almost-complete reference (and tutorial) instead of the
500-1000 page bricks that seem to be the standard now.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org